Friday 2 January 2009

Tasting Notes - Taylors Late Bottled Vintage 2001


As my drinking habits mature, I am becoming quite fond of the occasional port. Although I am by no means a connoisseur (yet), I am aware that Taylor's are one of the biggest names in port production. They are, if you like, the 'Ferrari' of the port industry. I enjoyed this 2001 as a Boxing Day aperitif, prior to imbibing in the more serious post dinner business of Jack Daniels. Indeed, I enjoyed it so much that I have since acquired a further bottle for my own casual consumption. It is of a deep red appearance, and slightly opaque. To the nose it is peppery and packed with fruity aromas, including rhubarb and perhaps a hint of elderberry. On the palate there is much more fruit, a hint of 'summer pudding' and dark, rich tannins infused with feint notes of licorice. The finish is bold and lasting, with a sweetness emerging and woody spices on the death. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Owen Polley said...

Thought the booze was getting in the way of blogging? I try never to blog something hungover, because my writing suffers, then my readers suffer and like ripples on a pond humanity is poorer.

Timothy Belmont said...

I often reflect upon the wisdom of publishing a blog post after I've indulged in a few glasses of wine; or a couple of large gins. It can be a double-edged sword, making me more candid, but more indiscreet too.

When I examine one of my more frank postings, I sometimes ask myself whether I had a little tipple before it!

Tim